Courtroom Skills: Giving Evidence
As a Professional or Expert Witness, giving oral evidence at hearings, adjudications, and trials can be a daunting task. It is essential to prepare for scrutiny of experience, notes, method of investigation and the procedures followed.
Gain knowledge of the procedures & processes of giving evidence, as well as the skills and confidence to present evidence effectively.
- Understand the procedures and process of giving evidence;
- Understand the roles of the various people in court/tribunal;
- Take the oath/ affirmation with confidence, and address the judge appropriately ;
- Give clear, impartial and robust evidence, operating within the rules of evidence;
- Techniques lawyers use in cross-examination and how to handle them;
- Role-play to gain experience in being cross-examined, and to receive detailed feedback.